Well, here’s a quick guide to a few hot spots around town for all music flavours and interests:
Indie Lovers: Sydney’s got some venues well up to the task to satisfy all your indie music needs.
- FBi Social, spin-off venue to local community station FBi Radio, gets its fair amount of amazing local and international artists on to its stages.
- The Exchange is made up of joint venues, Q Bar, Spectrum and Phoenix, all of which bring to you a variety of indie bands, hip hop and techno till beyond dawn.
- Club 77, your club of choice for a very messy night! This venue brings Goth metal, dubstep, rave and filthy electro you, can’t be expecting to leave Clubb 77 unscathed!
House and Electro Lovers: To all you ravers out there, here’s a few venues that will keep you up past 6am
- One22, located in a little hideaway on Pitt Street, is a jewel of solid house and techno beats blasting over an insane sound system.
- Spice Cellar, the home of legendary Sydney day club Spice, is a little classier than One22 but filled with the same filthy techno beats to satisfy any raver; Plus it’s a prefect midway point for any club and bar hopper.
- Not too far away form Spice Cellar is Civic Underground, set up with a crazy sound system it has been home to the likes of Kyle Hall and Rick Wade, Space Dimension Controller and Vladislav delay.
Mainstream Crowd Pleasers: These venues speak for themselves in what they have in store for you.
- The Marquee, found in Sydney Casino, The Star, this Las Vegas style venue brings in some major international acts through its doors. With it’s massive sound system and crazy set up its no wonder Djs such as Avicii and Calvin Harris have graced its stage. Be warned though, this place is expensive!! Entry alone averages $40, drinks at about $10 minimum and if your looking to book a table well you could probably travel Europe twice with what you need to drop.
- The Ivy is a little more affordable to an average person like us. With a number of different rooms to satisfy each electro, dance, mainstream taste, The Ivy boasts a high reputation for a good night out; just keep in mind dress code…they are VERY strict and if you can get yourself on a guest list your chances of finding your way inside will definitely double!
R’N’B and Hip Hop Lovers: There’s quite a few local gems in Sydney that give you great R’N’B and Hip Hop acts
- The Metro Theatre is the main venue of choice for major Hip Hop touring acts in Sydney with Kendrick Lamar cruising its stages during the summer.
- Goodgod is another decent location found amongst Sydney’s night life.
- Spanish Restaurants around Sydney also tend to book some decent live acts of Hip-Hop and R’N’B just be sure to check out their events pages online for specifics.
- Phoenix at Exchange also hosts monthly R’nB and Hip Hop nights
Dubstep, Trap and D’N’B lovers: If your looking for more bass in your nights there’s a few choice places you can head to.
- Chinese Laundry, don’t worry the name is not what you think! This venue is one of Sydney’s biggest and most rspected clubs. With an amazing reputation for great music and an even better night Chinese Laundry tends to be every clubbers starting point, attracting legendary internationals and local labels.